Sunday, April 23, 2006

Welcome!

Welcome to this blog, remembering the life and extraordinary talents of Georgina Joshi. Please feel free to leave your comments and memories here.

17 Comments:

At 5:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Georgina was pretty much the best person I ever knew. Always kind and accepting of others faults, treating everyone like a true friend. She was a person of strong character, intelligence, and talent. She was beautiful. I love you, Georgie, and will miss you always.

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger Jeff D said...

My wife and I had the opportunity to sing with Georgie at the 2005 Carmel Bach Festival. She was friendly, outgoing and a lot of fun. She went out of her way to socialize with the local, mostly older, volunteer chorus. She touched our lives in a beautiful way, and we cannot believe she is gone.

We feel blessed to have known her.

 
At 6:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Georgina,

Just a few days ago I was talking to you in rehearsal, and we were discussing how we would keep in touch when I moved. It seems unreal that you are no longer with us. I always loved standing by you in Pro Arte...you had the most extraordinary voice, and you were so humble, kind and caring. Every time you would sing solos in the Mozart Requiem, or the many other works we performed, I was in awe of your amazing talent. I will certainly miss your wonderful friendship and incredible musicianship, and I feel so honored that I was able to know you and sing with you, even if it was only for a short time in my life.

 
At 6:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Georgina,

I will never forget working on Dido and Aeneas with you. Your take on the music was so fresh and exciting that it made my own musicmaking rise to a new level. You were a beautiful person and a loving soul. I miss you.
rachel

 
At 7:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Georgina was one of the kindest hearted, friendly and most tallented people that I know...she will be missed!

 
At 8:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This may sound selfish, but I feel cheated, robbed, and saddened beyond words. If only I had known our Wednesday rehearsal, where we laughed, sight-read Bach, and joked, would be our last...

I volley between unexpected tears and anxious anger, trying to make sense of what just happened. I pour over the national coverage, each article providing a new technical detail of the crash. It is hard to read because the details I know- the times I saw her offer to help someone with too many bags in the elevator, congratulating someone on an audition or performance, her easy backstage banter, encouraging undergrads with their careers, her flawless grace- are not in the papers.

Georgina Joshi, an exquisite creature of unusual gifts. My heart will always mourn her abscence.

 
At 10:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted to wish all the family and friends of Ms. Joshi -- peace and prayers. I did not know her,but remember seeing her this past fall at IU Opera. She was a great talent who brought joy even to those whom she never knew.

May the power of the music she created with you and brought into your lives be a comfort to you in this time of sorrow!

"Ihr habt nun Traurigkeit; aber ich will euch wieder sehen und euer Herz soll sich freuen und eure Freude soll niemand von euch nehmen."

-You now have sorrow, but I will see you again and your heart shall rejoice and no one shall take this joy from you..---(Brahm's -German Requiem)

Peace,
Kevin

 
At 12:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's been just over a week now that Georgie and I performed together on the New Music Ensemble concert in what was to be her last public performance. She was such a professional, coming in at the eleventh hour. Humble, sweet and always willing to do what was necessary for the music. Harbison was deeply impressed with her as was everyone else in her presence.

I will miss you Georgina and I'm sad that we won't have another chance to make music together.

scott

 
At 12:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Georgina,

You were absolutely indescribable. From my first day in Bennett's studio, you made me feel like I belonged. You were kind, you were ridiculously talented, you were humble, caring, intelligent, passionate, and so many other things... I admired you so much, and just having you smile that radiant smile was enough to make my day. I will remember you for so many reasons, and will miss so many things about you even though I only knew you for a few months. You touched me in so many ways, Georgie, and I won't be forgetting you.

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger Emily said...

As musicians, we develop deep emotional connections through listening to and performing with each other. Even though I didn't know Georgina, it is a devastating loss to me.

I still remember the thrill that I had the first time I heard her sing; and how much I looked forward to hearing her again every time I played with Pro Arte. She had an unbelievably beautiful voice, and she sang from her heart. It's hard to realize there won't be that "next time"; that I won't play with her in the BLEMF opera; that her friends and family are left with a gaping hole where this wonderful woman used to be. But at the same time, I count myself very blessed to have heard her voice, and I will always remember her as a truly beautiful person and gracious musician.

 
At 1:28 AM, Blogger meflowers331 said...

Though Georgina now sings in a different and much better place (the Great Halls of Heaven from which an angelic voice such as hers came) her gorgeous voice will always resound in the depths of our hearts as we long to go to the place where she is now and hear that wonderful voice once again. I thank God He allowed us the privilege of hearing Georgina sing, she truly was a blessing and she will be truly missed.

 
At 11:50 PM, Blogger Matt W. said...

Georgina -- You were one of the first people I met here, and I'm very glad for it. You were one of those people that just doesn't seem to have any noticeable faults, and if you did, you'd be the first (and probably only) one to notice. I could list the qualities that made you a beautiful human being, but I can't really write words that do justice. You will be missed terribly, and I will never be able to listen to the Mozart Requiem without hearing your heavenly voice. I love you, miss you, and I pray that you are at peace. God bless your family and friends.

 
At 12:19 AM, Blogger Jamie Barton said...

Georgie, you were so wonderful. There were so many ways in which you blessed my life that you, of course, would never take credit for. Thank you for so many things: for helping me learn the ridiculous amount of Italian in our first IU opera (I really COULDN'T have done it without you!); for always being an encouraging and lovely spirit; for taking me on such wonderful plane rides -- I know it was a great joy in your life to be in the skies, and I can only imagine that you're living your greatest joy fixed in heaven looking down on us all right now. Thank you for letting me drive your incredibly awesome car (that had a very commanding voice if it thought you were going the wrong way!) Thank you for teaching me that you don't always need to have money in order to have a good drink -- all it takes is a cup of hot water, a lemon, and a few friends to make the perfect hour after Pro Arte. Thank you for teaching me how important it is to have a good, colorful wrap. Thank you for always sharing what you had with me... whether it be your Mom's chutney or your smile, I knew I could always ask and that means a lot.

Finally, I should say that I have loved every moment of singing with you. The greatest thing about singing with you is that you reminded me of the reasons I love to sing. Whether it be Kelly Clarkson or Mozart's Requiem, I always felt joy when I sang with you, and I will always look back on those memories with a joyful heart. So most of all, thank you for leaving me with such wonderful things to remember, and with such a strong hope and desire to be half the wonderful human being that you already were.

Love,
Jamie B.

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger zm4Humanrights said...

I can honestly say that I have not known what to say since the day I found out that you were gone. I walked onto campus focused completely on myself and looked at the newspaper and realized that a person I was close to lost their life. You were one of those people that was so easy to talk to, we had tea together and went out to dinner, but no matter what we did it was exciting a new. I remember when you sent a me an email telling me all the places that I should go when I went to England, so excited that we were going to share a common reference point, but happy for me at the same time. We lost touch, but whenever I saw you I could always talk to you and it was a gift. My finest memory is when we went to an opera together and when you watched the stage it was such appreciation for the ability of others written all over your face. I have never seen a person who could be so happy for another person. I hope you had no pain and that in the end all you could hear was your favorite opera being sung in your head. I will miss you and just know you were wonderful and dear to everyone you met. Thank you.

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger fsqanne said...

I never met Georgina, but I knew her parents and brothers. The way they always lit up when they spoke of her told me what an amazing person she was. I know she will be missed by all.

 
At 11:57 PM, Blogger mattleesekiwi said...

Dearest Georgie,
I cannot express to you or your family how much I miss you. There are so many wonderful photos I have to remember you by, but there is one which break smy heart to see every time...it was that oh-so-fabulous dinner at Chris's place (which one?, I hear you ask...) I turned my head away from the camera, vainly attempting to hide myself from the lens (I am not one for photos...you and Steph both were always furious about that :) but you are BEAMING. I wish so much that photo had me beaming in it too...beaming to be with you, to be in the presence of such a beautiful human being and such a beautiful spirit. I regret that, and mourn for you continually. It is not fair.

 
At 1:47 AM, Blogger rachdickey said...

Georgina

Such tragedy has struck your family. I am so sorry. I think of you everyday, your beauty, your commitment to music, the joy you brought to my heart. I miss you
rachel

 

Post a Comment

<< Home